Sunday 16 January 2011

Anticipation

As most of you know, I moved here at the beginning of June 2008 with my three boys, Travis, Austin, & Casey. Since Travis went home in June last year, its left me and the twins with Peter living in Fife. We do love it here. Generally, life is good.

We will celebrate three years of living here in June this year and will be eligible for citizenship, if we want it. However, it is very expensive. Since my daughter Whitney is getting married next year (two weeks after she graduates from college), we have to put off the citizenship until after the wedding, at least. But that's not what this post is about...

Since we've been here, none of us have gone back to Arkansas for a visit. Well, not if you don't count Travis because he went there to stay. Back at Christmas, we were going to fly the two of them over here for the holidays. But when we realized it was going to cost £1800 for the two of them, we had to make a very difficult decision and we decided that we just couldn't afford it. We looked into airfare in January for me to go see them and found that my ticket was about half of one of theirs - just because of the timing. We discussed it with the kids and they all agreed - the graduation and wedding were more important at the moment. The decision was made for me to fly to see them, taking their Christmas presents with me. I would be bringing the twins presents back with me when I came home.

The dates of the visit are 21 January - 29 January and I will arrive home on the 30th in the morning. I will be due back at work the next day (but that's another post all together!).

Obviously, my main reason for going is to see the kids. I miss them so much! But I'm also going to see friends that I've not laid eyes on in 25 years! I'm also a bit anxious about what's changed, what's not changed, and driving on the right-hand side of the road again for the first time in more than 2 1/2 years!

I'm "stealing" Peter's camera while I'm away (mine hasn't been replaced but we are working on it!) so there will be photos galore - mainly of me and my beautiful children and my lovely friends!

I leave Friday at 9:00am. I fly from Edinburgh to Newark then to Little Rock. I am a bit nervous about the flights because I haven't been on a plane since we moved here - if you don't count the 40 minutes I was on a plane to Dublin last month. =) I will catch up when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment